Friday, January 8, 2010

Blueberry Sunrise a.k.a Blueberry French Toast

This recipe was given to me by friend Yoannis. It's super yummy!

Ingredients
12 slices day-old white bread, crusts removed (I like french bread)
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I have always used frozen)
12 eggs
2 cups milk
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey

For the Sauce:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon butter

Cut bread into 1-in cubes (or just leave in slices), place half in greased 13x9 in baking dish. Cut cream cheese into 1-in cubes, place over bread (I like to spread the cheese on the bread). Top with blueberries and remaining bread cubes/slices.

In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and syrup, mix well. Pour over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hrs or O/N.

Remove from the refrigerator 30min before baking. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 min. Uncover, bake 25-30 min longer or until golden brown and center is set.

In small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 3 min. Stir in blueberries, reduce heat. Simmer for 8-10 min or until berries have burst. Stir in butter until melted. Serve with french toast. (I usually make the sauce the night before)

No comments:

Recipes from a "wanna be" culinary goddess.

"Hunger is the best sauce in the world" -Cervantes

"I cook with wine, sometimes I add it to my food" -WC Fields


This is a collection of recipes I have acquired from many different sources!